Well, the weather in Colorado can change extremely quickly and so I am hoping for the best. I checked out the weather forecast for Monday and the temperatures are continuing to go down and the chance for rain during the race is actually quite high from what it looks like. Here in Colorado the bad weather often starts moving in around lunch time and it can literally explode into fierce thunderstorms by early afternoon. Well, I hope it does not get that far, but right now it is just not looking as nice. Take a look below.
I might gamble and not use a rain jacket for the race, but it will be a last minute call. I will definitely bring some gloves and even my cold weather running hat – at least so that I am prepared for the cold temperatures.
I did a short shake-out run this morning – running with my 9-year old son for about 2.60 miles. He is fighting a cold and was not fit enough to do a full 5K distance run, but he did pretty good. He did not listen to me though and ran the hills way too fast – paying the price a little bit later, but that happens I guess. Why would he listen to his Dad anyway when it comes to running advice. From here on it is all rest and carbo-loading until Monday morning. I will drive up to Vail tomorrow afternoon as they do not offer a race-day pickup for the bib. I booked a cheap motel just outside of Vail for the night – which in return allows me to “sleep in” on Monday morning. I am a bit “scared” about the trip back home though – going eastbound on Interstate 70 after skiing has already been a hassle and it is a holiday weekend, so I assume lots of people went out of town and will return on Monday afternoon to be back at work on Tuesday morning. So, that puts me a bit under pressure to run this race in a decent time so that I can leave Vail no later than 1.30 PM.
Speaking of planning for the race. I am not sure how much the high altitude will affect me when running, but I am sure there will be some impact. I thought about it quite a bit actually and now I am thinking of starting out with a 9:30 minute pace per mile and then see how things go. This would get me in somewhere around 4 hours and 20 minutes. If all goes well and my legs feel good and the breathing part works I might speed up a little bit. I do not have a serious time goal as this is a high altitude race + it is just one week after I ran the Colfax marathon in Denver. At the moment my legs feel good and I am sure with the additional rest day tomorrow they will feel just fine on race day, but the altitude is the big unknown. If I can run this marathon in 4:10 or better (=A Goal) I would be extremely pleased, but if it takes me 4 hours and 30 minutes (=B Goal) I am Ok, too. The “C” Goal is to simply arrive. This could come into play depending on the weather.
Anyway, I am super-excited to get this race under my belt. Let’s do it.